And so the pumpkin versus turnip argument rages on (on Halloweenerrific at least).
One thing’s for sure though, one thing working in pumpkin’s favour is the vast number of recipes that you can find online.
I found a great book that has a nice recipe for pumpkin cookies. I thought I’d share it with you as I’m going to be making them myself this year.
Sweet Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cooked, strained pumpkin (or tinned if you prefer)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup of Stork (or shortening)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees celcius (375 fahrenheit)
- Mix Stork and sugar into a light paste
- Add pumpkin, egg and molasses
- Add everything else
- Spoon onto a baking tray (one spoon per cookie)
- Cook for 10-12 minutes
- Eat (before anyone else gets some!)
For added flair, use a Halloween themed cookie cutter or some icing. You really can go wild. Just take a look at some of these Halloween cookie designs…
If you have any other pumpkin cookies recipes to suggest, please let us know.