Whilst on the train mulling over some important things such as Halloween and what to do for it, I came up with an amazing idea.
Why not come up with a challenge related to the Friday the 13th horror movies? 12 Halloween cocktails, all inspired by that iconic slasher franchise!
It may seem a bit odd at first, but just think about it some more. 12 cocktails, with a theme. The perfect conversation piece for a Halloween party. You could try one or more of them. Better yet, let your guests have one each. You could even have them try to figure out which movie their cocktail represents – although that may be taking things a little too far.
After much thought, here is the Halloweenerrific unnofficial list of Friday the 13th Halloween cocktails and instructions on how to make them!
Friday the 13th Halloween cocktails
1. Friday the 13th Part 1
As the first movie is set in the seemingly innocent surroundings of Camp Crystal Lake, it seems fitting to have a cockail inspired by the dark mysterious waters there.
The Crystal Lake Surprise
- 2 measures of white rum
- A quarter measure of blue curaçao
- 1 measure of orange juice
- half a measure of lime juice
- 1 packet of red jelly (jell-o)
- Vodka (optional)
- Mix (shake) the rum, blue curaçao and juices with a cocktail shaker over ice.
- Strain mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Make the jelly (follow instructions on pack).
- Add the vodka (if desired) and set it in the freezer.
- Just before the jelly sets, sir it up with a hand whisk.
- Let it set for at least 5 minutes.
- Spoon the surprise into the cocktail. It should now float ominously in the water like the body of little Jason Voorhees!
2. Friday the 13th Part 2
The second movie is where we first see Jason as a killer. Although he doesn’t yet wear his infamous hockey mask. Instead he wears a sack over his head, and for this reason, I thought it might be nice to have a brown cocktail to symbolise his bag!
The Brown Bag
A sweet cocktail with a nasty surprise!
- 1 measure Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 1 measure dark rum
- 2 measures of milk
- 1 small scoop of chocolate ice cream
- 2 teaspoons chocolate powder or cocoa
- Mix the milk and alcohol over ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain and pour into a cocktail glass.
- Add a small scoop of chocolate ice cream and top with a sprinkle of chocolate powder or cocoa.
3. Friday the 13th Part III
Yes, this was the first movie where Jason used the iconic hockey mask, so it seemed only right to come up with a cocktail that somehow resembled it.
The Hockey mask
- 4 measures of milk (preferably full fat)
- 1 measure of overproof white rum
- 1 measure Irish cream
- Mix (shake) the rum, Irish cream and milk with a cocktail shaker over ice.
- Strain mixture into a small cocktail glass.
- Now the fun bit, get creative with the grenadine. Try to make the red droplets resemble the mask and/or blood in some way. It’s kind of hard to explain how exactly…
4. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
An odd name for the fourth movie considering that we now know that many more sequels followed. Anyway, enough of the film trivia.
As this was (at some point) intended to be the final chapter, it seemed a good idea to have a strong cocktail that would finish off anyone, even Jason.
Yup, it’s a strong one, so use with caution.
- 1 part Vodka
- 1 part red Aftershock
- 1 part Absinthe
- 3 parts Red Bull (or similar energy drink I guess)
- Mix (shake) the Vodka, Aftershock and Absinthe in a cocktail shaker over ice.
- Pour into a tall cocktail glass and add the Red Bull.
5. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning
After all that strength, it’s time for something a bit more civilised. As you may know, Jason doesn’t really feature so much in this film.
Instead “A New Beginning shifted the focus of the story to the character of Tommy Jarvis, and how he battles his inner demons, hallucinations, and “rages to kill” after his ordeal with Jason in The Final Chapter” – I found that on Wikipedia
Anyway, as Tommy struggles with his demons we can take things easy with a cocktail that is associated, but is also quite mild in comparrison to our last.
- 1.5 Measures De Kuyper Triple Sec
- 1 Measure De Kuyper
- Sparkling Mineral Water
- Half fill a tall cocktail glass with ice.
- Pour in the Triple Sec and Crème De Cassis.
- Top up with the sparkling water and stir gently.
6. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Yep, Jason is back and he’s bad. Accidentally brought back to life with the help of a long piece of metal and some lightning (don’t ask) Voorhees was soon back to what he did best – killing teenagers.
To celebrate his return, I decided to add a new twist to a classic cocktail.
The Voorhees Corpse Reviver
- 1 measure gin
- 1 measure Cointreau
- 1 measure vermouth
- 1 measure fresh lemon juice
- Dash of absinthe (use sparingly)
- Strawberry jam (just a small dollop)
- Pour the liquid ingredients into a shaker over ice and shake that thing.
- Perpare a cocktail glass for your mixture, adding a small dollop of strawberry jam to the bottom ot it. This will just fizzle at the bottom and add a bit of fruity sweetness.
- Strain the ingredients into the glass.
Thirsty for more?
Well, this post is growing at an alarming rate and we’re only half way there.
Keep an eye on Halloweenerrific because I have 6 more amazing Friday the 13th Halloween cocktails coming your way in part two!